2 pounds boneless pork ribs or loin, trimmed and cut in bite-size cubes
salt and pepper
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups diced celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth
3 to 6 tablespoons drained jalapeno rings or chopped mild chile peppers
1 cup julienne cut carrots
2 medium potatoes, cut in small cubes
1 pound tomatillos, husks removed, washed and diced
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
pinch dried oregano
hot sauce, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
fresh chopped cilantro, optional
- Sprinkle pork cubes lightly with salt and pepper; toss with the flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet; add pork and saute, stirring, until nicely browned; transfer to a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker. In the same skillet, adding a little more oil if needed, saute the celery and onion until tender. Add garlic, chicken broth, and jalapeno peppers or mild peppers, stirring and scraping browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, add to the slow cooker the carrots, potatoes, and tomatillos. Pour tomatoes over the top, then add the onion and celery mixture from the skillet. Stir to blend ingredients.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours, or LOW for 6 hours. Add seasonings.
- Cook for 1 to 2 hours longer on HIGH or about 2 to 3 hours longer on LOW. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve with a sprinkling of cilantro, if desired, and hot baked cornbread.