1 lb tomatillo, husked
1 1/2 lbs skinless chicken, cut in approximately 2 inch diameter pieces
Kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
4 scallions, chopped
1 seeded minced jalapeno
1 -2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2-1 teaspoon sugar
1/4-1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Roast husked, rinsed tomatillos in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until browned on all sides and soft (about 8-10 minutes)- use tongs to turn.
- Transfer tomatillos to food processor and coarsely grind.
- Wash and dry chicken, season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Saute onions, scallions and jalapeno in olive oil until soft- approximately 4 minutes. Increase heat to high and add chicken, cooking until lightly seared, approximately 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatillo, lime juice, and sugar, and simmer until done. Stir in cilantro and cook for one minute.
- Correct seasoning, adding salt or sugar to taste. Serve with rice or tortillas.