This doubles as an entree or a seasonal side dish!
1 butternut squash
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp chopped fresh sage or 1 1/2 tsp dried
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 cup sliced sweet onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
Pinch grated nutmeg
- Peel squash, halve lengthwise, then crosswise. Remove seeds. Cut lengthwise into 1/2" thick wedges. Place in a 10-cup greased oval baking dish; sprinkle with half each of the salt and pepper. Roast in a 450F oven until tnder and browned on edges, approx. 25 minutes.
- In a small bowl, toss together bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, sage and 1 tbsp butter - set aside.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan, heat remaining butter over medium heat; fry onions and garlic, stirring often, until softened - approximately 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour; cook oven medium-low heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in milk, nutmeg and remaining salt and pepper; sook, stirring, utnil thick enough to coat back of spoon, 5 minutes.
- Pour over squash; sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake in 350F oven until bubbly and crumbs are golden - approximately 25 minutes.