1 spaghetti squash (about 3 lbs.)
2 cups milk
2-3 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and chopped
2 Tbsp butter, plus more for pans
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup shredded cheese (I use Parmesan)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and use a spoon to remove seeds and surrounding fiber. Put squash, cut side down, on a lightly buttered baking sheet and bake until tender when flesh is pierced with a fork. (30-40 minutes). Let sit until cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm milk and jalapenos until bubbles form form along the edge of the pan. Remove from heat and let sit 15 minutes. Strain and discard jalapenos.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a large spoon to scrape the strands out of the skin and into a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 2 Tbsp. butter. Whisk in flour and salt and cook, whisking, until flour smells cooked (like piecrust), about 3 minutes. Slowly pour in jalapeno infused milk while whisking. Reduce heat to medium and continue whisking until mixture thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Pour mixture over squash and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to a buttered 2 qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until bubbling and brown on top, about 30 minutes.