Quinoa 365 by Green and Hemming
Fast, nutritious, and delicious!
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or turkey)
1/4 cup soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
2 tbsp oyster sauce (or seasoned rice vinegar)
1 tsp minced fresh garlic
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
4 tsp sesame oil
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup thinly sliced onion
3/4 cup water
3 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
1 cup unsalted, toasted cashews
- Slice the chicken into thin pieces and place in a large, sealable plastic bag. Combine the soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic and ginger in a bowl and pour into the bag with the sliced chicken. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (and up to 24 hours) to marinate.
- Bring the water and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan*. Cover. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for another 6 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside
- Place 2 tsp sesame oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the broccoli and onion and cover the pan. Stir frequently and add 1 tbsp of water if the saucepan appears dry. Cook until the onion is opaque and the broccoli tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Remove the chicken, reserving the marinate. Place the remaining sesame oil and the chicken into the frying pan on medium-high heat and cook until the chicken is no longer pink, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the marinade to the pan. Stir in the water, peanut butter, and honey and cook for 1 minute. Toss in the broccoli and onion mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Divide the quinoa among individual serving plates. Top with the chicken and broccoli mixture. Sprinkle with toasted cashews**and serve!
*Check on your bag of quinoa to see if it is prewashed or not. If it doesn't say it has been washed, place the quinoa in a fine sieve and rinse with cold water. Quinoa has a bitter coating on the outside of it and rinsing it removes this bitter coating (saponin). I find no matter if it is washed or not, it improves the taste!
**To toast cashews, place in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and put into a 350F oven for approximately 5 to 10 minutes - keep an eye on the nuts as the oils can cause them to burn quite quickly! Shake the pan occasionally to ensure even toasting!