8 cups good chicken stock
1 cup rice, I prefer short-grain but long-grain works too
4 garlic cloves, crushed
6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced (soaked in hot water for 20 minutes also stems removed and sliced) or 12 dried shiitake mushrooms (soaked in hot water for 20 minutes also stems removed and sliced)
1 tbsp grated ginger
2 cups thin sliced chicken breasts (you can also use cooked chicken, shredded or chopped)
2 cups chopped pak choi
1 tbsp soy sauce, to taste
1 tbsp oyster sauce, to taste
Salt, to taste
White pepper, to taste
Fresh coriander leaves
Green onion, chopped
Chopped hard boiled egg
Finely chopped fresh spinach leaves
Finely diced chile
Egg, thin omelet, cut in fine strips
- Bring chicken stock to a boil, add the rice and the garlic, reduce the heat and simmer for approx 2 hours until the grains break down but not completely disintegrate, stir occasionally.
- Add the chicken, shiitake and ginger, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add your chosen vegetables cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Taste the soup and add soy, oyster sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls, drizzled with some sesame oil, and any or all of the above garnishes in separate bowls/dishes for people to help themselves.