2 salmon fillets, skin on
2 pak choi, each cut in 3-4 long wedges
Olive oil, for brushing
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin or rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp superfine sugar
4 oz medium rice noodles
1 tbsp peanut oil
Splash sesame oil
2 tsp garlic, chopped
Green onions, sliced into long strips (garnish)
Fresh gingerroot, peeled and cut into long thin strips (garnish)
Toasted sesame seeds (garnish)
- Mix the teriyaki ingredients (soy sauce, mirin and sugar) in a small pan. Bring to the boil to dissolve the sugar, then bubble for about 3 mins till thickened.
- Cook the noodles and drain. Preheat the broiler and put a steamer on. Lay the salmon, skin-side down, on an oiled baking sheet, brush with olive oil, season with pepper and grill for 3 minutes Meanwhile, steam the pak choi for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat both the oils for the noodles in a wok, tip in the garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute
- Add the noodles and stir-fry for 1 minute Keep the noodles and pak choi warm.
- Turn the salmon over, brush with teriyaki sauce, and grill for 1 minute Brush again to glaze. Serve with noodles and pak choi, top with scallions, ginger and sesame seeds, and drizzle with remaining sauce.
- Cut shreds of scallion and fresh root ginger, and leave in water in the fridge to crisp and curl. Scatter over the salmon.