3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb baby spinach leaves
1 large farm-fresh egg
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
6 oz feta cheese, crumbled (or as much as you fancy!!)
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
10 sheets of phyllo dough, thawed if frozen
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Heat EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute until softened and fragrant - approx. 8 mins.
- Gradually add spinach and cook, stirring often, until wilted - approx. 5 mins.
- Transfer spinach mixture to a bowl and stir in egg, herbs, feta, salt and pepper.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo pastry on a parchment-lined baking sheet (cover remaining sheets with a damp towel to prevent them drying out), and brush lightly with butter. Repeat twice.
- Spread spinach mixture in centre, leaving approx. 1" border.
- Top with three more butter sheets of phyllo pastry. Fold in sides to make a rectangular package.
- Lightly crumple remaining 4 sheets of phyllo pastry and place on top of spanokopita. Lightly brush with butter.
- Bake until dark golden, approx. 40 minutes
*A great addition is 3 chopped garlic scapes as well!!*