Ingredients For Dressing:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 to 4 tbsp finely chopped red onions
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup oil (EVOO makes the dressing take on a greenier tone, but a vegetable or grain-based oil gives the dressing the bright pink colour you see in the picture above)
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a blender (I use my mini-chopper), and blend well.
- While running, add oil in a steady stream until the dressing becomes thick and smooth.
Ingredients For Candied Pecans:
1 cup pecan halves (or 1/2 cup pecans and 1/2 cup walnuts)
1/3 cup brown sugar, firmy packed
2 tbsp butter, melted
- Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl and then spread on a lightly greased baking sheet, or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (which I prefer because it means less clean-up!)
- Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure even coating.
- Let cool and set aside. Once the mixture is cool and looks like brittle, just crumble and put into a container with a lid. The nuts can be kept in a fridge for at least two weeks (although they don't last that long at our house!)
- 10 oz of spinach leaves
- 2 ripe pears, peeled and cut into chunks
- Crumbled blue cheese (frankly I don't measure this - as much as you would like!)
- Red Onion Vinaigrette
- Candied Pecans
- Combine the first three ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette and sprinkle with the candied pecans