3 tbsp of unsalted butter
2 medium-sized fennel bulbs (sometimes called anise), trimmed, chopped and reserve some of the fronds for garnish
1 large leek, halved lengthwise, rinsed and thinly sliced crosswise
1 tsp of fennel seeds
1 1/2 lbs of potatoes, peeled and cut into 2" cubes
5 1/2 cups of broth (I use vegetable, but you can also use chicken)
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add fennel, leak and seeds and cook until the vegetables become soft. Make sure to stir often to prevent sticking and burning!
- Add potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cover with a lid and simmer until potatoes are tender (approx. 15 mins).
- Either using an immersion-style blender (a MUST for soups in my books!), or a standing blender, puree the soup until smooth. If it is too thick for your liking, you can thin it using water or stock.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- When serving, garnish with fennel fronds. If you enjoy smoked salmon, you can also garnish with a few pieces of this too!