2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 -inch (.6 cm) slices
1 large celery root, peeled and cut in half, then cut into 1/8-inch (.3 cm) slices
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 small onion, diced
2 tbsp. butter
2 tsp. (10 ml) fresh thyme leaves
3 cups (750 ml) heavy cream
sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F. (190C).
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a skillet and cook the onion until soft. Add the garlic, thyme and the potatoes. Toss and then add the cream.
- Cook the potatoes over medium heat until just starting to soften and the cream is starting to thicken. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place half of the celery root on the bottom of a buttered 9x13 ovenproof baking dish.
- Using tongs, place half the potatoes over the celery root, overlapping as necessary. Place remaining half of celery root and then remaining potatoes. Pour cream over top.
- Cover with foil and place in a preheated oven and bake for about 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Uncover and continue to bake until the gratin is golden on top (about another 30 minutes).
- Remove and let sit for at least 10-15 minutes before serving. Serves 8- 10