3 1/2 pounds frying chicken
1 onion, cut in chunks
1 teaspoon salt
5 cups reserved broth
6 slices bacon, diced
1 pound smoked andouille or smoked sausage, sliced 1/4" thick
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 green bell peppers, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes
1 can (approx. 15 ounces) tomato puree
1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels, thawed
10 ounces sliced okra
1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme or 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- Combine chicken, the onion chunks, celery leaves, and salt in a Dutch oven or large kettle; add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer about 45 minutes. or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, reserving 5 cups of the chicken broth; discard onion and celery leaves. Remove chicken from bones; cut into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- Cook bacon and sausage in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Remove bacon and sausage, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in Dutch oven. Crumble bacon; set bacon and sausage aside.
- Add onion, pepper, celery, and garlic to Dutch oven; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken, bacon, sausage, reserved broth (should be approximately 5 cups), tomatoes, and remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours.