12 oz spaghetti
4 tbsp butter, divided
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 4)
1 lb fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp grated lemon peel
1 lb of asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut crosswise into thirds
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
4 oz shaved Asiago cheese
- Cook spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Transfer pasta to large wide bowl.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; saute 1 minute; add shiitake mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute shiitake mixture until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and lemon peel and bring to a boil. reduce heat to medium and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 6 mins.
- Add asparagus to shiitake mixture; simmer until asparagus turns bright green, about 2 minutes. Add chives and remaining 2 tbsp butter and stir until butter melts. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over pasta; toss to coat. Top with shaved Asiago and serve.