Frying okra and potatoes together creates an awesome flavour combination!
1 lb young okra pods
2 large potatoes
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tbsp Salt.
2 pints ice water
Oil for frying
Salt and pepper for seasoning, to taste
- Top and tail the Okra pods, (cut off the ends).
- Cut the pods into approximately 1/4 inch rounds.
- Peel and dice the potates into 1/2 inch pieces
- Peel the onions and chop finely
- Place the sliced Okra into a glass or stainless steel bowl and sprinkle the salt liberally over the pods.
- Cover the pods with the iced water, making sure that all the slices are under water.
- Place the bowl containing the Okra and water in a refrigerator and leave for 2 or more hours.
- Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and drain off the salt water.
- Place the Okra in a bowl and add the potatoes and chopped onion
- Season the cornmeal with the salt and pepper
- Place the sliced Okra potato and onion mixture together with the seasoned cornmeal in a large plastic bag and shake until the vegetables are well coated with the cornmeal.
- Heat some oil (1/2 inch deep) in a frying pan until it begins to shimmer. Place the vegetables in the pan and fry until the potatoes are done and the mixture has browned nicely.
- Remove the Okra and potato mixture from the oil, using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot as a side dish