A tasty gumbo made with chicken, sausage and shrimp!
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons oil
1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
3/4 to 1 pound boneless chicken thighs, cut in bite-size pieces
1 1/2 to 2 cups cut okra
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup frozen medium shrimp, cleaned and cooked
1 1/2 cups uncooked regular long-grain white rice
3 cups chicken broth or water
- In small saucepan, combine flour and oil; mix well. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring constantly, about 8 to 12 minutes or until mixture turns a light red-brown.
- Place flour and oil mixture in 3 1/2 to 4-quart crockpot. Stir in all remaining ingredients except shrimp, rice, and broth or water. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Add cooked shrimp to the gumbo; mix well. Cover and continue to cook on low for 20 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, cook rice in the broth or water according to package directions.
- Serve gumbo over the hot cooked rice.