This is so simple to make and simply delicious!
2 bunches asparagus, trimmed
1 pkg all-butter puff pastry, thawed
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 1 /2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
1/2 tsp coarsely cracked black pepper
1 tbsp milk
- Line 2 rimless baking sheets with parchment paper, or grease. Set aside.
- In a steamer or rack in saucepan, cover and steam asparagus until tender-crisp, 3 mins. Chill in cold water; pat dry.
- Unroll each pastry sheet on to prepared pan. Spread evenly with mustard, leaving 1" border. Arrange asparagus side-by-side and alternating ends, on mustard; sprinkle with cheese and pepper.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with milk; lightly brush over pastry border. Bake in top and bottom thirds of 450F oven, rotating and switching pans halfway through to ensure even rising, until puffed and golden and cheese is bubbly - 18 mins.
- Cut each into 6 pieces and serve warm or cool!