3 medium beets
1 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp white truffle oil (optional)
- Peel and chop the beets into bite sized pieces (I find it best to wear rubber gloves so that my fingers don't get stained!)
- Toss with 1 tbsp of the olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast in a 400F oven for approximately 35-40 minutes, until tender. Let cool.
- Grate the rind of the orange into a fine zest. Segment the orange without membrane or pith and place in a bowl with the cooled beets.
- Whisk the zest, balsamic vinegar, and basil together in a small bowl. Drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil and truffle oil (if using), and whisk to combine salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over the beets and oranges.
- Optional garnish with basil leaves and additional zest.